UP College of Arts and Letters in celebration of the centennial of the University of the Philippines is announcing the KOMEDYA Fiesta 2008, a celebration of tradition, culture and performativity. Part of this grand activity is the 1st International Theatre Conference focused on Komedya. The conference aims to interrogate komedya as a Philippine traditional theatre form; reevaluate its nature and elements; rediscover the past (history) through this theatre form; and historicize its continuum and dynamics. The conference will be held on February 28 – 29, 2008 at the College of Arts and Letters Building and Bulwagang Rizal, University of the Philippines, Diliman, Quezon City. The theme of the conference is Komedya: Revisiting the Past for the Possibilities of the Future.
The conference has the following objectives:
- to gather a community of Philippine Performance Studies scholars interested and / or focused on komedya;
- to provide opportunity for presentation and discussion on researches among academic scholars and practitioners in the theatre and performance studies in the Philippines;
- to theorize on the present state of komedya as part of Philippine Performance Studies discourse through the series of researches and / or presentations;
- to exchange information among scholars and practitioners in the theatre and performance studies regarding this traditional theatre form; and
- to build networks among scholars and practitioners for future collaboration in research, academic exchange and performance praxis.
Who should attend the conference?
- Researchers, academics and consultants with research interests on Philippine Theatre and Performance Studies (especially those who specialize in komedya studies)
- Administrators of academic programs in Philippine theatre, dramatic literature, speech communications and performance studies
- Theatre practitioners – actors, directors, artistic staff, production staff and stage staff who specialize and / or perform komedya
- Graduate and post-graduate students in theatre, performance studies and related fields
- Publishers of journals and / or academic textbooks in Philippine Theatre and Performance Studies
- Students in theatre arts, art studies, art education, performance studies and related disciplines